After the success of the first Annual International Conference on Education for Democratic Citizenship: Educating Youth for Democratic Futures, the Moroccan Center for Civic Education in collaboration with its international and local partners take great pleasure in announcing the Second Annual International Conference on Education for Democratic Citizenship, which will be held in Marrakesh, Morocco from February 4 to 8, 2015.
The first annual conference was attended by nearly 160 participants representing over twenty countries from Europe, America, Asia and Africa. During that conference educators from around the world presented research and best practice sessions on educating youth for democratic futures. (To see photos taken during the 2014 conference, please click here.) In recognition of the international need for democratic citizenship education to prepare enlightened and active young people who are more engaged, more knowledgeable, and more politically tolerant, this year’s conference will be focused on the theme of “The Role of Youth in Promoting Global Citizenship Education: Challenges and Opportunities.
With global citizenship education gaining attention, scholars are investigating the field and developing new perspectives on how to empower youth to exercise and defend their rights and responsibilities in society, to value diversity and to play an active part in democratic life. Around the world, teachers and schools are increasingly being given the responsibility of social change agents signalling a shift in the role and purpose of education. As United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon stated, “We must foster global citizenship. Education is about more than literacy and numeracy. It is also about citizenry. Education must fully assume its essential role in helping people to forge more just, peaceful and tolerant societies.” In addition, a 2014 UNESCO report defined Global Citizenship Education (GCE) as a program that “inspires action, partnerships, dialogue and cooperation through formal and non-formal education; GCE applies a multifaceted approach employing concepts, methodologies and theories from related fields, including human rights education, peace education, education for sustainable development and education for international understanding. It promotes and ethos of curiosity, solidarity and shared responsibility.”
To support the spread of knowledge and best practice in Global Citizenship, we are inviting participants and contributors across the globe to join us in Marrakesh for the 2nd Annual International Conference on Education for Democratic Citizenship to share their research, and experience. In this way, we hope to further the discussion and practice of empowering youth to engage and assume active and effective roles locally and globally by focusing on the challenges and opportunities of both school-based and out-of-school activities and projects.
The Role of Youth in Promoting Global Citizenship Education: Challenges and Opportunities
- Education for democratic citizenship
- Intercultural dialogues
- Civic engagement
- Education for the rule of law
- Education for peace
- Education for equality
- Empowerment of youth and women
- Education for human rights
- to share ways of getting involved locally, nationally and internationally;
- To promote awareness and activism that will benefit our local, national and global communities;
- To stimulate an in-depth exchange of views, successful experiences and best practices;
- To identify the skills, knowledge, and values that youth will need as active and democratic citizens;
- To bring together high level academics, professionals, educators, civil society members and international experts in the field of education for democratic citizenship;
- To engage in a debate on how youth should be educated in and for democratic citizenship;
- To provide a platform for sharing experience and expertise as well as a way of disseminating successful and innovative practices.
In order to help plan the 2nd EDC conference and ensure the involvement and participation of relevant academics, professional educators, high level representatives, experts and civil society leaders, educators, media and youth representatives, several committees have been set up. An International Scientific Committee, chaired by Professor Awad Ibrahim, University of Ottawa, has been established, and a Local Organizing Committee, supported by an Advisory Group will be overseeing the running of the Conference.
- Bishop’s University, Sherbrooke, P.Q. Canada
- Civitas International/ Center for Civic Education, Los Angeles, California
- Maryville Center for Civic Engagement and Democracy, St Louis, MO, USA
- Faculty of Education, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- Ministry of Education, Morocco
- Making History/Faire l’histoire Educational Research Unit, Faculty of Education, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- Morocco World News
All announcements, documents, and information resources related to the 2nd Annual International Conference on Education for Democratic Citizenship will be posted on the center’s website: http://iacedc.civicmorocco.org/ (starting 10 September 2014). Please visit the website for the most current conference information.
IMPORTANT DATES LEADING UP TO EDC 2015 CONFERENCE
As you plan your participation in the EDC 2015 Conference, please keep the following important dates and deadlines in mind:
- September 10: Registration starts
- September 10: Call for papers
- November 30th: Deadline for call for papers
- December 15th: Notification
- December 31st: Deadline for registration for international participants and final papers submitted.
- January 15: Deadline for registration for local participants
- Marie Josée Berger, Ph.D.
Professeure émérite/Emeritus professor, Université d’Ottawa
Dean, School of Education
Bishop’s University, Sherbrooke, P.Q.Canada. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alden W. Craddock, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President and Director,
Center for Civic Engagement and Democracy
Maryville University of St. Louis, USA. (email@example.com)
- Trevor H. Gulliver, Ph.D.
Chair, School of Education
Bishop University, Canada. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Timothy J. Stanley, Ph.D.
Interim Dean, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
and Professor, Faculty of Education
University of Ottawa, Canada (email@example.com)
- Awad Ibrahim
Full Professor, Faculty of Education
University of Ottawa, Canada (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Elarbi Imad
President and Executive Director
Moroccan Center for Civic Education, Morocco (email@example.com)
The scientific committee invites contributions (30 Minutes presentations or 60 minutes workshops) that address at least one of the above mentioned subthemes.
November 30, 2014 is the deadline for abstracts submission.
Please complete the attached abstract form on submission
Abstracts should not be over 500 words and should include the following:
- The title of the presentation/ workshop
- The name of the speaker
- The institution.
- A biography
- Contact information
The final papers should be submitted by December 31, 2014 and be considered for publication.
Conference fees for EDC Conference 2014 for international participants
- US $1000 (per International individual participant)
The fee includes the following:
- Conference registration.
- 4 nights at Riad Mogador Menara & Spa 5 Stars Hotel in Marrakesh (Feb 4, 5, 6 & 7) Single room.
- 4 breakfasts
- 4 meals (1 dinner and 3 lunches)
- 1st day reception
- 5 coffees pauses
- Airport transfers ( From Casablanca/ Marrakesh Menara airport)
- Guided Tour in Marrakesh
- Conference material and supplies
- Conference participation fees
Conference fees for Moroccans and other participants coming from Morocco
- 1450 MAD (per individual participant in a double room)
- 3000 MAD (per individual participant in a single room)
- Spouse: 2000 MAD
The fee includes the following:
- 3 nights at Riad Mogador Menara, 5 Stars Hotel in Marrakesh (Feb 4, 5 & 6)
- 3 breakfasts
- 3 meals (1 dinner and 2 lunches)
- 1st day reception
- 5 coffee pauses
- Conference material and supplies.
Conference registration for local participants: 100 MAD
- Deadline for registration for international participants:
December 31st, 2014
- Deadline for registration for local participants:
January 15th, 2015